Being involved in a collision with a motor vehicle can be extremely unnerving for bicyclists.
However, despite the confusing and traumatic nature of the event, it pays to stay calm, cool and collected after an accident. What they do in the moments following a crash can have a long-lasting impact on their ability to recover compensation for injuries and other losses through a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit.
Following these tips can help bicycle accident victims build a strong case and protect their right to recovery.
- Move the bicycle off the road to prevent subsequent accidents.
- Summon an ambulance if anyone is injured.
- Report the crash to the police, and wait for them to arrive and complete an accident report.
- Obtain contact and insurance information from the driver of the vehicle.
- Collect the names and contact information of people who witnessed the accident.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including those that indicate weather and road conditions at the time of the crash.
- Photograph injuries, property damage and the license plate of the involved vehicle.
- Write down details about the accident, such as where, when, how and why it occurred.
- Don't apologize, accept blame for the accident, or negotiate with the driver of the involved vehicle.
- Seek immediate medical attention and ensure that any and all injuries are well-documented by the treating physician.
- Consult an attorney for legal advice as soon as possible after a serious bicycle accident.
Do You Need a Knowledgeable Bicycle Accident Attorney?
If you were severely injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for injuries and other losses. Following the above guidelines can help you build a strong case.
Do you have questions about a bicycle accident case? Our experienced attorneys have answers. Contact the Accident and Injury Law Group today to schedule an appointment for a no-cost, no-obligation initial case analysis.